Posts tagged AAU Junior Olympics
For those of you preparing for the upcoming AAU Junior Olympics, here is the tentative schedule. We are not sure at this time when the final schedule will be posted, but past experience informs us that there will not likely be any significant changes made, perhaps only some minor tweaks to the starting times.
Also, we have just learned that there will be an all-comers meet this Saturday, July 16, at Cy-Ridge High School which can serve as a good final tune-up for the Junior Olympics, although it’s not limited to Junior Olympics qualifiers.
The 2015 AAU Junior Olympics concluded on Saturday and the Sonics closed it out with Damario Gee finishing 12th out of 59 in the 10 Boys Turbo Javelin and Kennedy Burgess finishing 40th out of 48 in the 11 Girls Turbo Javelin.
The Sonics final medal count was four, two from Octavia Gee (including a national record in the 9 Girls Turbo Javelin), one from Faith Mitchell in the 11 Girls Shot Put, and one from Davon Beckles in the 12 Boys 3000 Meter Run. The medal tally was a bit below the norm for the Sonics, but considering we only brought 21 athletes and three relay teams, that is not surprising. Next year, however, we will be back on our home turf when the Junior Olympics returns to Houston so we will no doubt have a stronger turnout and greater successes. A big “thank you” goes out to all of the dedicated athletes and parents who made the long journey to Norfolk and we look forward to seeing everyone again next year!
Friday was a quiet day for the Sonics with only two events being contested. Here are the results:
11-12 Girls 4×100 Relay (Jurnee Smith, Cesley Williams, Nylah Raspberry, Hannah Nicholas) finished 27th out of 52
Makenli Raspberry finished 52nd out of 88 in the 15-16 Girls 400 Meter Dash
Saturday is the final day of competition and the Sonics will have Damario Gee and Kennedy Burgess each competing in the turbo javelin.
Octavia Gee garnered Sonics’ fourth medal of the 2015 Junior Olympics in dominating fashion in the 9 Girls Turbo Javelin event. She smashed the old record of 64′ 2″ with a massive throw of 80′ 3″!
The following Sonics also competed on Thursday. Here are their results:
Connor Parker finished 34th out of 66 in the 8-Under Boys 1500 Meter Run
Davon Beckles finished 10th out of 76 in the 12 Boys 1500 Meter Run
Jayla Cooper finished 33rd out of 79 in the 9 Girls Long Jump
Wednesday was a relatively quiet day for the Sonics with only three athletes competing in the 800 meters and two teams in the 4×400 relay. Here are their results:
Connor Parker, 18th out of 89 in the 8-Under Boys 800 Meter Run
Todd Woods, 45th out of 97 in the 10 Boys 800 Meter Run
Davon Beckles, 24th out of 85 in the 12 Boys 800 Meter Run
9-10 Boys 4×400 Relay (Damario Gee, Jonathan Cooper, Joshua Mitchell, Todd Woods) finished 17th out of 36
11-12 Girls 4×400 Relay (Jurnee Smith, Cesley Williams, Nylah Raspberry, Hannah Nicholas) finished 15th out of 48
On tap for Thursday, we have Connor Parker and Davon Beckles running the 1500 meters, Octavia Gee in the Turbo Javelin, and Jayla Cooper in the Long Jump.
The Sonics added their third medal of the competition on Tuesday with Faith Mitchell taking 8th place in the 11 Girls Shot Put. We also had a number of other solid performances and several PRs:
Michelle Mayer, 16th out of 71 in the 13G 1500 Meter Run
Kylah Woods, 34th out of 100 in the 8-Under G 200 Meter Dash (32.06 PR!)
Olivia Nicholas, 38th out of 103 in the 9G 200 Meter Dash (30.89 PR!)
Kylah Woods, 21st out of 101 in the 8-Under G 400 Meter Dash (1:15.63 PR!)
Ryann Dedmon, 65th out of 101 in the 8-Under G 400 Meter Dash
Connor Parker, 27th out of 103 in the 8-Under B 400 Meter Dash
Olivia Nicholas, 70th out of 106 in the 9G 400 Meter Dash
Cesley Williams, 17th out of 106 in the 12G 400 Meter Dash (1:01.96 PR!)
Kenneth Burgess, 21st out of 56 in the 11B Shot Put
Plenty more Sonics in action on Wednesday, so be sure to tune into AAUTV.org to follow them on live streaming video.
The action is underway in Norfolk and the Sonics are off to a very nice start. Octavia Gee picked up where she left off from last year by winning the gold medal in the 9 Girls Shot Put with a toss of 28′ 6-1/2″. Davon Beckles won a medal with his 6th place finish in the 12 Boys 3000 Meter Run.
Anthony Chatman was our first competitor on Saturday and just narrowly missed a medal with this 9th place finish in the 1500 Meter Racewalk. Michelle Mayer also just missed advancing to the final in the 13 Girls 800 Meter Run with her 14th place time. Hannah Nicholas finished 27th out of 72 competitors in the 12 Girls Long Jump, Jonathan Cooper finished 33rd out of 83 in 10 Boys 100 Meter Dash, and Makenli Raspberry finished 60th out of 83 in the 15-16 Girls 800 Meter Run.
AAU will be broadcasting all of the Junior Olympics track races live on streaming video and free of charge at AAUTV.org. The left side of the page will display the daily schedule of events. To make it easier to find the races featuring Sonics athletes, we have compiled a list by day for each of these events including heat/section numbers when known. (NOTE: All listed times are EASTERN time zone, so adjust accordingly. Events will progress through the age divisions from youngest to oldest with the boys following the girls. Also, we will try to update the schedule with specific heat assignments as they become available, and for the events featuring multiple rounds, provide updates of Sonics athletes advancing to the next round.)
Monday, Aug. 3
- 3000 Meter Run, 12B: Davon Beckles (he will be running in Section 2, most likely around 9:30-9:45 AM)
- 800 Meter Run, 13G semi-finals: Michelle Mayer (she will be running in Heat 5 at approximately 12:30 PM)
- 800 Meter Run, 15-16G semi-finals: Makenli Raspberry (she will be running in Heat 2 most likely around 1:30-1:45 PM)
- 100 Meter Dash, 10B quarter-finals: Jonathan Cooper (he will be running in Heat 4 most likely sometime between 3:15-4:00 PM)
Tuesday, Aug. 4
- 1500 Meter Run, 13G timed finals: Michelle Mayer (she will be running in Section 4 around 8:20-8:30 AM)
- 200 Meter Dash, 8G quarter-finals: Kylah Woods (she will be running in Heat 5 most likely sometime between 11:15-11:25 AM)
- 200 Meter Dash, 9G quarter-finals: Olivia Nicholas (she will be running in Heat 8 most likely sometime between 11:35-11:50 AM)
- 400 Meter Dash, 8G timed finals: Ryann Dedmon (she will be running in Section 9 sometime most likely between 2:00-2:25 PM)
- 400 Meter Dash, 8G timed finals: Kylah Woods (she will be running in Section 11 most likely sometime between 2:00-2:25 PM)
- 400 Meter Dash, 8B timed finals: Connor Parker (he will be running in Section 11 most likely sometime between 2:25-2:50 PM)
- 400 Meter Dash, 9G timed finals: Olivia Nicholas (she will be running in Section 8 most likely sometime between 2:45-3:15 PM)
- 400 Meter Dash, 12G timed finals: Cesley Williams (she will be running in Section 10 most likely sometime between 4:45-5:30 PM)
Wednesday, Aug. 5
- 800 Meter Run, 8B timed finals: Connor Parker (he should be running in the 7th section sometime between 9:50-10:05 AM)
- 800 Meter Run, 10B timed finals: Todd Woods (he should be running in section either the 5th or 6th section sometime between 10:55-11:20 AM)
- 800 Meter Run, 12B timed finals: Devon Beckles (he should be running in the 4th or 5th section sometime between 12:00-12:20 PM)
- 4×400 Meter Relay, 9-10B semi-finals: (they will be running sometime between 4:30-5:00 PM)
- 4×400 Meter Relay, 11-12G semi-finals: (they will be running sometime between 4:50-5:20 PM)
Thursday, Aug. 6
- 1500 Meter Run, 8B timed finals: Connor Parker (he should be running in the 3rd or 4th section sometime between 8:35-8:50 AM)
- 1500 Meter Run, 12B timed finals: Devon Beckles (he should be running in the final (4th?) section sometime between 11:10-11:25 AM)
Friday, Aug. 7
For you families traveling to Virginia for the upcoming Junior Olympics, be sure to check out the Fun Pass, which offers a variety of discounts for local attractions. I suspect they will be including a Fun Pass flyer in the athlete packets, but if not, you can always refer to this link to get the details.